Our Process: Guiding Principles
Every project, every client has distinct objectives and opportunities to achieve them. We are diligent in ensuring that there is complete alignment of objectives from the outset.
Data Driven Solutions
A commonplace claim to be sure. However, Select Contracts’ years of experience and expertise in the active entertainment sector provides a wealth of data and knowledge on which to build effective solutions.
As an operating company as well as design/build company Select Contracts understands how to develop solutions that yield the greatest returns with the least investment.
On Time – On Budget
We know how critical this is. Select Contracts has a proven track record of bringing in projects, large and small, on time and on budget.
Being a vertically integrated organization means that Select Contracts can be involved in projects on virtually any level. From initial concept and feasibility studies to full turn-key solutions, we bring the same Guiding Principles to every level of a project.
MARKET STUDY & BUSINESS PLANNING
Our specialized knowledge of the leisure and recreation industry allows unique and valuable insights, particularly into sectors that are often difficult to quantify due to a lack of industry standards and benchmarks. The market study forms the basis for the project component mix and concept creation and informs critical business case variables.
Without the market study complete, many project variables and design decisions cannot have strong backing and rationale. Therefore, it is a vital step in any project's development. The market study includes:
- Site Analysis: The site analysis considers all the relevant aspects of the project site and surrounding geography related to consumer access and overall suitability.
- Resident Market Analysis: Local population and spending power is assessed from various angles, including the health of the local economy, cost of living and income, and expenditure patterns where possible. The demographic analysis will uncover the suitability based on the appropriate driving radii of the local market.
- Visitor Market Analysis: Like the resident market analysis, this section focuses on the project's market potential from the area's existing domestic and international visitor markets. We identify overall visitation volume trends, spending habits, trip purposes and motivations.
- Competitor Analysis: Understanding competitive offerings within the market is essential. The competitor analysis takes a wide-angle view of the market and considers how the project's target market may choose to spend their money and what level of pricing the market can achieve.
- Market Penetration: Information uncovered by the market study, including demographic base, visitor market volume and participation rates in relevant activities to the project, are fed into a specifically designed model to estimate the attendance potential for the project.
Using the data from the market study, we create a preliminary ten-year financial plan for projects to include cash flows and ROIs. The financial plan will address:
- Development Expenditure Budget: Initial Capex budget using estimates for building and construction costs, each of the main component elements, equipment costs, professional services, installation and pre-opening expenditure.
- Draft Operating Budget: We prepare draft budgets with estimates for staffing, consumables, marketing, repairs and renewals, and budgets for the main operating costs from the day of opening onwards.
- Draft Revenue Plan: The draft revenue plan will outline the anticipated revenues of the project from opening as determined by the component matrix.
- Cash Flow: We predict ten-year cash flows as part of the financial assessment along with our suggested capital structure for projects.
MASTER PLANNING & CONCEPTUAL DESIGN
The Master Planning and Conceptual Design are typically conducted in conjunction with our Market Research and Business Planning services. The Master Planning and Conceptual Design phase utilize our extensive 40+ years of business development experience to outline what a project should include and how it should be laid out based on its needs.
The first step is to create a full Component Matrix/Programme mix to determine what should be included. This matrix will identify the space devoted to each element of the project and will consist of a block plan to show how the components could be laid out. It will outline the best mix of facilities and attractions based on the market findings and demographics.
Once the block plan is complete, we will then complete the Conceptual Master Plan for the project. This will identify the key components and areas to be incorporated into the mix with the suggested allocation of space for each element and will be designed with an operational eye to ensure operational capability from the outset. We also create artistic renderings for the project to show the intentions of the overall theme. These are full-colour drawings suitable for presentations and will include all aspects of the project.
SCHEMATIC, DEVELOPED & DETAILED DESIGN
Once a project progresses into the next stage of design, we handle all aspects through to construction and break that into three phases; Schematic Design, Developed Design and Detailed Design.
Schematic Design builds upon the foundation set by the Business Planning and Conceptual Design phases. It involves the careful translation of the project's programmatic needs into the computer-generated site, attraction and building layouts that have been refined for functionality, usability, required adjacencies, code compliance, security, safety and aesthetics. We can develop highly operationally efficient designs by working closely with the business plan to establish critical operational requirements.
Typical Schematic Design deliverables include:
- Site Plans
- Detailed Attraction Layouts
- Building Plans
- Materials Palettes
The design will evolve throughout the Developed Design phase through coordination with structural and systems consultants using 3D Building Information Modelling (BIM) software. Typically, the research and assessment of products will take place, and any design adjustments will be made to suit the specific parameters.
Using the 3D models, we create 3D visualizations suitable for promotional materials and investment documents.
This phase is the production of technical drawings and construction details required for Build Permits and construction. Depending on the style/type of project, the detailed design drawing package may include:
- Detailed architectural plans/elevations/sections and specifications
- Attractions details
- Lighting design, indicative power requirements and layouts
- Materials & Finishes schedules
- Signage plans
- IT and telecommunications plan
- AV requirements
- Landscape plans & details
- Theming design
We combine best design practices with creative vision to create one-of-a-kind projects. Our process starts with setting the design direction and phased design deliverables. Each project is unique, so we work closely with the client to explore options and design solutions that work on every level. Our extensive operational experience feeds into the design process so that your vision not only looks good on paper but is practical in reality, creating memorable guest or end-user experiences.
Once a project has progressed through the Business Planning & Conceptual, Schematic and Detailed Design phases, we can engage in a Development Oversight role to bring the project to reality. The two primary roles that we take in this stage are:
- Design Management - ensure the project is built to our design specifications and troubleshoot operational issues before they are cemented in place.
- Budget Management - ensure the budgets created for the project’s financial case are spent effectively with ongoing cost management and value engineering throughout the build process.
By staying involved in the project after its design, through to the opening, we can ensure maximum value to the client by remaining accountable to our designs and budgets.
We also have extensive experience in the development process to help all clients with various needs from tendering of construction and equipment suppliers, supervision of project timelines through construction, construction order processing, risk identification and management, and construction reporting. We can also help clients make decisions on general contractor selection.
As the project progresses through development and construction, our standard operating procedure is to start Pre-Opening Management concurrently with the primary construction phase. Starting this phase early allows for a successful opening after construction completion, smooth operation from day one and overall project success. In addition to the Development Oversight role, Pre-Opening Management guides the operational success of construction and value engineering decisions as they lead to the final product's financial, safety, or guest experience outcomes. The following is a sample of the tasks and processes the team is responsible for:
- Management and staff recruitment, training, the establishment of personnel procedures and employee manuals
- Sourcing staff accommodation where necessary
- Design and tendering of the POS system to meet project requirements
- Brand development, including corporate image, advertising standards and uniform development
- Setting up administrative and operational systems
- Creation of corporate structure and lines of duty/reporting
- Advertising and marketing strategy and implementation plans for both launch and initial operations
- Develop a complete set of operating manuals and SOPs, including financial controls, safety plans, evacuation procedures, maintenance plans, staff training, etc
- The lead of insurance tendering and documentation requirements to ensure the proper coverages are in place for the clients' risk tolerance while getting the best overall rates
- Development of a corporate event strategy and a sales team to structure appropriate events for the business
The professional implementation of the Pre-Opening procedure is vital to the project's success. It ensures the best insurance rates are obtained, the client's risk tolerance is known and managed, and the project can open swiftly and successfully. Most projects have bumps during an opening, but our process minimizes the occurrence and severity by bringing years of experience to the table.
There are a variety of options when it comes to the ongoing management of our client’s projects. Each project is unique, and the operational elements will vary significantly. We have the resources and ability to manage the ongoing operations of any leisure, adventure or recreation project by overseeing all or individual parts of the project post-opening financial, operational, technical, and maintenance management.
Typically, in a full-scope Operations Management agreement, we are responsible for all aspects of the staffing, management, marketing and promotion, site audits, financials and safety. We will be in complete control of the entire operation. The owners are only required to convene for meetings to evaluate performance and agree on budgets on a schedule agreed upon beforehand. The value to our clients is that we bring years of experience in recreation and leisure operations management, applying the strategies that have helped build success in multiple projects around the world.
We can also perform an operations audit for existing businesses in the recreation, leisure and adventure industry to uncover issues and/or inefficiencies leading to subpar performance. Typical discoveries include cost levels outside of standard benchmarks, inefficient staffing levels, safety oversights, and new revenue streams during this process. After an operations audit, we can help implement change through an Operations Management or Limited Management role.
We provide a comprehensive approach to integrated marketing that works seamlessly with your business, ensuring all advertising and marketing efforts are directly linked to the goals and objectives of your business. We focus on business development through marketing strategies, providing measurable results from new companies to established brands. Our proven process supports growth in all aspects of your business - your business is not mutually exclusive from its goals and objectives, so your marketing shouldn’t be either!
We offer tailored marketing to suit the needs of your business. With a free consultation, we can work out the best approach for your business with any combination of the following services:
- Market Research: Let us take you to 30,000 feet up to get a better view of your business! We’ll provide you with the tools you need to understand better your competitors, guests of your business, and other valuable metrics to improve your position in the market.
- Business Development: Marketing and Business Development go hand-in-hand; our unique and skilled approach ensures your business is not just talking the talk but also walking the walk.
- Social Media Marketing: We take the time to understand the voice of your business and your customers. From this, we develop a tailored and proven marketing schedule for your business that works.
- Paid Advertising: Never run an ad before? Or maybe you have, but you’ve experienced sub-par results? Our proven tiered advertising system with unique audience targeting are the power tools for building your ad campaigns to custom fit your business and ensure that you get the most out of your advertising budget.
- Content Management: Your time is essential, and sorting through photos and video for the right post or advertisement can be a huge time suck. Just provide the content, and we’ll take care of the rest! We can also help your business source photography and videography services to build up your content bank.
- Website Audit & Build: A great marketing campaign can be all but lost on an improperly designed and built landing page. Ensure you are maintaining your audience and customers throughout your leads and sales funnel with an effective website. Old site not serving you? We can help you with a fresh new build.
- Success Measures & Reporting: You are only doing half the job if you do not measure your marketing efforts. We help you develop realistic and attainable KPIs for marketing and advertising campaigns so that you can easily measure the success of these efforts. Detailed reporting on social profiles, website analytics, and advertising is tailored to give you precisely the information you need to continue building your business successfully.
HOW HAVE WE HELPED?
View our past projects and success stories.